Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Realizations and Inspirations

Self Publishing is a terrifying experience.  Actually, strike that, I think publishing a book in any way is probably terrifying for authors.  All of the things we experience in our everyday relationships we must also face in the writing process.  The fear of rejection, the fear of someone not liking something that is so personal to you, or even the fear of success. 

As I sit here, days away from publishing my very first novel, I am terrified.  I have never done anything this scary before in my entire life.  I feel as though I am taking a little piece of my soul and putting it out into the world to be judged and weighed.  I have seriously considered trying to find a big game hunter to tranq me until the 17th. 

It is not all nerves that I have on my mind today though.  There is something even more pressing and weighing.  I am incredibly humbled.  When I set out on this journey just a few months ago I never even expected to make it this far.  With the love and support of friends from all over the globe, this dream has become a reality.  I am unimaginably blessed to have so many people love and support me.  So right now I am going to take a few minutes to thank everyone that has given me the courage to step out of my comfort zone and put Izzy and Kennan out into the world. 

Cleopatra's Army-  The last year would have been a misery without the two of you.  You guys pulled me out of a really dark place and your friendship allowed me to find a place that made this book possible.  I will never be able to tell the two of you enough how important you are.  There will never again in my life be a more perfect trio of friends.  Thank you for allowing me to be my weird self, abuse your talents, and drink all of your wine.  And Jana..... I miss you!

Regina-  My sister from another mister.  I am convinced we were meant to be twins most days.  You were one of my very first readers and without your enthusiasm I never would have been able to finish the first book.  Your enthusiasm for the second book is driving me to get back to writing even as we speak.  I will never be able to thank you enough for all of your kind words love and support.

Wendy-  I miss you more than words can say.  I can always count on you to be honest with me.  I know without a doubt that you would never let me put something out in the world that was subpar.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate that honesty.  I also can't tell you how much I love you.  There is not a week that goes by that I don't miss you being here.  Bah.  Move back closer to me!

Ali-  I am overwhelmed by your belief in me.  Sometimes I think you have an unhealthy belief in me and I am terrified to even think about the kind of success you have dreamed up for me.  I can't tell you how much your support and love for Kennan and Izzy means to me.  I better get back to writing so that I can make it to book six.  LOL.  I love you so much.

Charissa-  Before you had read a single word I had written you jumped on the bandwagon.  You offered unfailing support and I will forever be grateful to you for that.  Your faith in me inspires me more than you can possibly imagine.  You are awesomesauce.

Dianne-  Like Charissa, you jumped on the bandwagon early with pom-poms waving.  Your support for me, reposting of my posts, spreading the word about me.... well everything you do basically, it humbles me.  You are just so sweet.  I am so blessed to have you standing with me in all of this.

Belinda-  Your willingness to answer any and all of my questions along with your support are so important to me.  I would never have made it this far without your amazing advice and guidance.  I love you hard!

Betsy-  Your notes on the first book will help me to be an even better writer in the second book.  I love that I have a friend with a brilliant mind like yours.  You will never know how much I appreciate you taking the time to read my book and critique it.  I know you are a woman of discerning tastes so your approval means all the more to me.  Plus you keep me in books.  :)

Neeley-  I feel like the universe aligned perfectly to provide me with the editor I needed most.  Your tweaks to my story along with your notes of support made the editing process much less painful.  I love your sense of humor and I am so grateful to have you on my team.  This book would not be as good as it is without your help.  Thanks for making sure I didn't sound incredibly redundant.  :)

To all of the fb peeps that listen to me endlessly rant about my angst and terror.... thank you. 
To all the people willing to shamelessly promote me.... I love all of your faces!

I am sure I am forgetting someone.  If I am then know that I am just so overwhelmed today by the support and love my brain is a bit fuzzy.  I love you people!  Bah, okay.... I think that is enough gushing for now! 

xoxo,
Michelle

6 comments:

  1. You brought tears to my eyes.
    You have an incredible talent. Everyone has a story to tell, it's how they share that story and the feelings it stirs within you that defines their talent. When I read the ARC of See How She Runs I was brought into this amazing world of Izzy. I laughed with her, fought with her and loved with her. You brought Izzy to life. I wish you much success and I'm happy to be part of this journey. Much love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I am all weepy! Sheesh. You are just.... bah. I love you!

      Delete
  2. yep teary now!

    when you are surrounded by people who know you will succeed and believe in you, how can you fail? its impossible!
    you will always be a superstar in my eyes and i have no shadow of a doubt you will be a huge success and i can't wait to see Izzy and Kennan on the big screen ;)

    love you to bits and one day i'm gonna hug you so hard i might just break you xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeezing to the point of breakage sounds lovely! I look forward to it. When I do my book tour of Australia (basically to come sign your book or face) I will camp out at your place. Yep, I just invited myself! LOL. I love you!

      Delete
  3. squeeee girly night! pyjama party, facials LOL the boys can go in the mancave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are making this happen. It may be a couple of years before I get there.... but it will happen! <3 You are on my bucket list! ;)

      Delete