Friday, January 10, 2014

Saturday Spotlight: S.L. Dearing



S.L. Dearing is the very first Dauntless Indie author to be featured in my series of spotlights.  This is your one stop shop for all things Dearing <3!  I have had a blast getting to know this wonderful lady and I know y'all will as well! 
 
Here is to your happy discovery!
 
xoxo,
Michelle


 

Bio:
Although she grew up in Arizona, S. L. Dearing was born and raised in California and considers the Golden State her home. Shannon attended Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, studying biology, then moved to Los Angeles where she spent several years studying at Los Angeles City College’s renowned Television/ Film program. She learned the art of storytelling from her father when she was very young and has been writing since the tender age of five. As an author of many genres, she is always hoping to learn more by exploring the world of story. She has written her first novel The Gathering: Book One of the Lia Fail Chronicles and first of a series of shorts A Wish: A Lia Fail Short Story.  She also has short stories in several anthologies: Apocalypse: An Anthology by Readers & Authors, Paranormal Anthology with a Twist and Stalkers: A Collection of Thriller Stories. Shannon currently resides in Los Angeles.
 
 
 
 
Now that we know a bit about her background.... let's find out where we can hunt her down.... I mean follow her!  (Apparently, she is far more adept at the whole social media thing than I am)
 
 
Where to stalk the brilliant S.L. Dearing:
 


I am sure you all are wondering what she writes.... Have no fear, I have the links to all of her books as well.... see, I came prepared! :)


 

Links to buy The Gathering
 
 
 
 
 
A Wish – A Lia Fail Short Story (1.1)
 
Kobo: N/A at this time
Itunes: N/A at this time
 
 
 
 
S.L. Dearing has also been featured in several anthologies.... Just look at those beautimous covers.  Le Sigh.  Alright, back to business, the links for each anthology are below!
 
 



Paranormal Anthology with a Twist

 
Apocalypse: An Anthology by Reader & Authors
 
Stalkers: A Collection of Thriller Stories
 
 
 
Now that everyone knows where to stalk S.L. and buy up all of her books, let's have a bit of fun.....  I have devised a series of questions to ask all of my fellow D.I. Authors....  I am interested to see how all of their answers vary...and I have to admit, it is a ton of fun getting to know S.L. Dearing better!
 
 
What did you want to be when you grew up? Was it always a writer?
Oh wow, no, well for most of my life I wanted to a veterinarian.  There was a brief moment where I wanted to be a nun (raised Roman Catholic, but now I’m a pagan/witch – no, not Wiccan) and I also wanted to be a coroner.  Then I wanted to direct , act, etc. The funny thing is, I’ve always written: stories, poems… my mother still has a book I made her when I was five.  I finally realized what I was when I was in my late twenties, but then I wrote screenplays. Until one day I woke up and said, I can do that, I can write a book and I did,

 
If you could be any animal, what would it be, and why?
Um, I would be an orca or a raven.  They are my two favorite animals. They are very intelligent and very family oriented.  I think they are beautiful.
 
 
If you could have any super power, what power would it be? 
 Hmmm, wow, maybe telekenesis or pyrokenesis.  Maybe teleportation… Or breathing under water… Oh or talking to animals… Oh, I don’t know… I’ll be a witch so I can do all of them J
 
 
Top Ten places you want to visit in your lifetime...
Germany, Ireland, New Orleans, New Zealand, Hawaii, Australia, Alaska, England (again), Lichtenstein, Africa.
 
Do you use real people to influence your characters, or are they completely formed when they come to you? 
Yes and no.  Some are patterned after real people, some not at all, some have qualities or traits.  Although I have used my friends names, but they aren’t really anything like the characters, well some of them… some are exactly like their characters. J
 
If you could have a weekend getaway with any author throughout all of history, who would it be?  What would you hope to gain from the time spent with them? 
Oh wow, Um, I’m not sure I would expect to gain anything from them, save for their wisdom and possibly their friendship. As authors, I think that support and friendship and encouragement is what we all do best for one another.  Helping each other over the rough spots and holding each others’ hands.  Author I’d like to spend a weekend with… wow, I guess I would love to meet Stephen King, although I have met Clive Barker and he’s a lot of fun.  A fun author.  I want to spend a weekend getaway with a cool person who writes well J
 
The absolute best part about writing a book for you?  The worst? 
The best part of writing a book is when you get to share it and someone loves it.  They felt it as deeply as you did and will treasure it as much as you. The worst is when you share it with people who trash it.  I’m fine with people not getting it, but when people pan it or trash it, that’s the worst.
 
Why did you choose to be a part of Dauntless Indies? 
When I was asked, I wasn’t sure that I would have the time or that I was “seasoned” enough to be part of such a great group of writers. After the holidays I seemed to get a new wind beneath me and I thought I should try. I mean they asked and I had meet Brandy and Sarah and already knew I thought they were wonderful and now I see it was a great decision.  The support and encouragement is amazing and everyone is so encouraging. I count myself very lucky to be in such company.
 
What are you working on now?  What are your writing aspirations for 2014? 
 This year is the year I finish book 2 of the Lia Fail Chronicles and get it out.  I’m also working on an anthology with Rene Folsom, writing for several other anthologies (I always submit a story to Cynthia Shepp’s anthology – fingers crossed and I was invited to participate in a romance anthology call All Our Love where all the proceeds will be donated to charity) and working on the 1.5 compendium of short stories for Lia Fail.  The first, A Wish, just dropped on Jan 9.
 
Coffee or Tea? 
Coffee, always coffee, only like sweetened peach or raspberry tea, iced.  I lied, I sometimes drink green tea.  Not often,
 
What is your writing process like?  Do you have to have complete quiet, or noise? 
 I write to music.  I listen to soundtracks, the classical kind.  The music written for film is ingrained with emotion and films have always been a huge part of my life.  That music just pulls at my emotional bank and I can find what I need most of the time in the right score. J
 
What is your favorite line that you have ever written? 
Oh, wow, um, I think that’s really hard.  I do love the line that Arron Levine says to Ellen Turner in The Gathering on the dance floor… “Care to trip the Jew fantastic?” I think Aaron’s a  funny rabbi J
 
If you had to hang out with any of your characters, which one would you choose?
Honestly, wow, um,I love Alia, I love Sean, all those characters in The Gathering, the good guys, I would love to hang with any and all of them.  They are my kind of people.  Very down to earth, very tolerant, very smart and funny.  Very loving people.
 
 
I hope everyone has enjoyed spending time inside the mind of S.L. Dearing!  I know I have!!!!  Thanks a ton for being here!  Oh, and don't forget to check back each Saturday for more of my fellow Dauntless Indies' Author Spotlights! 
 
xoxo,
Michelle
 

No comments:

Post a Comment