Thursday, October 2, 2014

The reality behind the Molly & Izzy friendship.

I've always heard the phrase "write what you know."  With Izzy and Molly, I did just that.  Their friendship isn't something I dreamed up in my mind, it isn't something I spent hours trying to perfect, it came easily and naturally.  Why? Because their friendship is based on a friendship I've shared with three amazing women for years. 

I know in the past I've talked about things I've been through, my fight with depression, and just general life struggles....  and I've even talked about these women before.  But I feel like it is worth repeating! 

In 2007, on October 22, I went through one of the hardest days of my life.  I miscarried.  This isn't a post about that though, this is a post about what has stayed with me most from that day.  This is about my best friends!

When I was falling apart, my three best friends in this world rallied around me.  I will use initials here... J and K showed went with me to the many doctor's visits that day alongside my mom.  They stayed with me while my heart broke and reminded me that it was okay to cry.  They held my hand and managed to still make me smile when the world felt like it was falling apart around me.

As soon as she could, A showed up, on her birthday, to join the troop.  Not the best way to spend a day of celebration, but she never once complained.  (Not until the next year when I went into labor on her special day... then she said the next year was all hers.  :D )

That day is forever burned into my memory, and surprisingly it isn't the loss of that day that stands out the most.  What has stayed with me over the past years is the selflessness of my friends.  They came with me and stayed, they went to my apartment and cleaned out anything that might remind me of the pregnancy and boxed it away until I might need it again, and they made me smile when every ounce of happiness seemed so far away.

If you ever find yourself wondering about Izzy and Molly.... well their friendship is based on my three best friends on this earth.  To this day, and to the last day of my life, I will love these women.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of each of them.  And though we live scattered now, I know that our friendship knows no distance. 

Thank you ladies for being there that day and all of the days after.  Thanks for inspiring me, making me laugh, and helping me to be brave.  I love you people!

xoxo,
Michelle Graves

No comments:

Post a Comment