Monday, May 20, 2013

New Adventures Bring Emotional Upheaval

I have embarked on this journey called writing.  About two years ago I started a story. It did not really go anywhere for a while.  I could not find direction and alas I left the first twenty pages to rest.  All the while the characters chattered away in the back of my mind.

Fast forward to a year later.  My husband was deployed to Afghanistan with his computer.  The same computer which held my story.  I now realize the stupidity of not having a back up copy.  Thank God the computer and the husband both made it home in one piece.  So a year ago, I was sitting around minding my own business when I was practically struck by lightning.  I am sure anyone close to me saw the bulb over my head light up.  I had figured out where to go with my story.

I started writing down a few notes so that I would not lose my thoughts.  Then my husband came home and I was all wrapped up in familial bliss and the story was once more forgotten.  Two months ago the characters would be silenced no more.  They raged inside my head for a release.  The more I fought it, the less sleep I got.  So I caved.  I said to myself "Self, even if this story sucks, we are going to write it."

So that is what I did.  Two months ago I dedicated all of my free time to writing.  I sat down and poured everything I had into the story.  I did not sleep much.  I was more emotionally unstable than ever.  (Which if you know me says a lot.)  I drove my husband insane talking about characters and crying over their problems.  If I got stuck I would badger him into helping me get unstuck.  I am thankful that I married a saint.

Fast forward to now.  I have finished my story.  It was a labor of love and after reading over it I can say that it is something I am incredibly proud of.  I intended for it to be a single book.  Alas the characters, they won't leave me alone.  So now I am in the process of figuring out the whole editing process, hiring a cover artist, and just trying not to be lost in the sauce all while the characters chatter in my head.

I had no idea how much went into writing a book before I started this process.  What this process has left me with is an unyielding respect for authors.  I am so blessed to have the help of fellow indie authors and a bunch of book-a-holics to guide and encourage me on my way.  This journey is just beginning and I can't wait to see where it might take me.

I look forward to you joining me!

<3,
Michelle




P.S.  A big thanks to these ladies for all of their help. They are both brilliant, so please go and check them out!

Belinda Boring The Queen of Swoon
http://www.belindaboring.com/

Lacey Weatherford The Queen of Hearts
http://www.laceyweatherfordbooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment